Saturday, January 11, 2014

Setting the stage

Greetings, ladies and gentleman. My name is Edward Valentine.

I'm seventeen and a senior in high school. I spend my time reading, when I'm not buried in homework, or hanging out with my piles of friends. Note the sarcasm. I'm actually the loner in my school. Try to remember back to your school days for a moment. Remember that kid that always sat in the back, all quiet like? The kid that everyone always called creepy? Yeah that's me.

So I usually find a lot of time to read.

You may find yourself wondering, "What is it he reads?" If not, I'm going to tell you anyways. I enjoy stories that fall in the horror genre. Stephen King, Dean Koontz, H.P. Lovecraft, etc. When I'm not reading horror novels I find myself exploring the archives of this site. The creatures that people can come up with are surprisingly frightening. Psychopathic faceless business men, slack-jawed stalkers, even killers who are worried about your sleeping habits. That last one still gives me shivers.

What amazes me the most, is that there are people that act like some of these creatures are real. Saying that they're actually running from one, such as this Raggedy fellow, or this Mad scientist woman. Then scarier yet, we have people saying that they actually serve one of them. Like this twisted yet strangely amusing woman who has a knack for knitting, or this scarred medic with a schizophrenic boyfriend. It's all strange, yet fascinating.

There's not much else to say. Not anything else I feel the need to tell you about. So that brings this post to a close.

I welcome you to the freak show, please take your seats and prepare yourselves.

8 comments:

  1. "Freak show''? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Carter. It means exactly what you think it means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that we should be welcoming you my friend. After all, I've been here for... years.
    It's been quite the trip, as I trust you've read the most recent installments. Have you read the Odd Thomas series by Koontz? I relate to Odd in far too many ways for my own liking...
    Well, let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me Tori.
    And yes, I'm like a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a crazy person? I'd say you are a crazy person, no offense. You claim to serve faceless. Even if these claims were true you would be crazy for doing so. Also yes, I have read the latest installments.

      The Odd Thomas series is on my list, haven't got around to it yet.

      Delete
    2. Ah, no one ever gets my references to movies and other works of fiction. But yes, I'm clinically insane; its far more fun this way. And it may have been a crazy decision but it has its purpose and continues to - protecting people I care about.

      It's a good series. I've just started it myself actually.

      Delete
    3. It is true that your decision kept the people you care about alive, and yet it has killed many as well. Can you say that all of it is worth it?

      Delete
    4. It may sound crass, but those who I kill are unimportant to me. I don't know them, nor do I care about them. Yes, I feel remorse for killing them and it's a shame that their lives had to be ended at my hand... But in the end, self-preservation will always win out for me in such situations. If it comes down to myself or someone I care about though, I will gladly sacrifice myself for them and their well-being.

      So is it worth it to be able to know that my friend and her child are safe? Is it worth it to know that I can be in a relationship with someone I care for and someone who cares for me?

      The answer will always be yes.

      Delete
    5. Kill or be killed? That doesn't sound crass at all. It's only logical to protect those around us, sacrifice anything to make sure that they stay alive, even other people. I probably would not have taken the road that you did had I been in the same situation. But given the circumstances I believe you made the best choice you could have with the hand you were dealt.

      Delete